Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"You Are Mine"!





Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. Isaiah 40:26

My two favorite Christmas gifts, I love and use every day! One gift is a pink and white pen from my granddaughter Riley that says “I (heart) love Grandma” and the other is from my grandson, Caleb that says “Grandmothers are just antique little girls”. This morning as I read the bible and studied my lessons in James, I wrote with my beautiful pen and drank coffee from my special cup. I love these two items not only because they are from my grandchildren and they picked them out especially for me, but because they have my name on them “Grandma”!

We all love to be called by our name, don’t we? If mail comes to “resident” instead of our name I usually pitch it. Any good salesman knows it is wise to find out and call you by name because there is something about being called by our name that bonds us even to a stranger. Hallmark Cards make special cards for mothers, grandmothers, daughters and wives. Somehow I feel more honored by a card that has my name or title on it. All in all we like it when we are called by our name and recognized for who we are.

Scripture tells us that God knows us each by name! Not only does He know our name, unlike the salesman, He knows who we are inside and out.

You know when I sit and when I rise;

you perceive my thoughts from afar.

You discern my going out and my lying down;

you are familiar with all my ways. Psalm 139:2,3

He calls us by our name:

But now, this is what the LORD says--he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1

Whenever I might feel small or insignificant I can look to God’s word and know that the Creator calls me by name. And He says I not only know your name “You are Mine!”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment