Monday, January 14, 2013

"May I Have This Dance?"

 
 
If my dream would come true I would be a dancer! Can you believe it? Me neither. I remember trying to dance as a teenager , but just couldn’t catch on. I struggled with two left feet when it came to the two step or any of the dances of my time except maybe “the twist” which was merely twisting your body to the beat of the Chubby Checker record. “The Stroll” was big back then and I loved the familiar beat and could do it okay until it was my turn to stroll down the center of other dancers, at which time my “Stroll” turned into a “Stumble”. The truth was, chewing gum and strolling was too hard for me. But in my dreams, this girl, who could trip over a blade of grass, is a ballerina! I sway to the beat at any kind of music in which dancers trip along so gracefully. I can hardly sit still when ice skaters glide so effortlessly on the ice. I love it! I guess that is why this little phrase caught my attention this morning.

“How sad to admit that, sometimes when God extends his hand to invite me onto the dance floor of life, my dance card is already full.”

How many times do we miss being close to God because we are too busy doing stuff….even God stuff? How often do we miss the peace of gliding through life with Him because our two left feet are running trying to keep up with the hectic lifestyle that we have created. A life of busyness. Oh, you don’t need to recite the good that you do, I know all about it, I have been there. We live in a fast pace world that hardly gives us a moment to hear the music, let alone dance. Unfortunately when we lay our heads on the pillow we may find ourselves wishing for more, not more things to do but just MORE! That more we long for is a closer walk with God. Too many times we say “I’ll do better tomorrow”, “When I get this next project done I can pursue God more” or “Sorry, God my dance card is already full”!
 
I love this scripture from Acts in the bible.  Listen carefully to the words as you read them can't you almost hear God saying, "May I have this dance?"

'For in him we live and move and have our being. Acts 17:28 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment