Friday, January 4, 2013

Stones Thrown and "Old Dogs"!




The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?"  They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger.  When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."  Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.  At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.  Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"  "No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."  John 8:3-11




 
Are you a “stone thrower” or do you stand waiting for the stones to tear into your frail frame? I found myself today in both places at the same time.

You see I awakened with the dreaded “Oh no, I blew it again” in my gut. Been there? I had hurled my opinion like I knew it all. As I hurled my stone of self-righteousness I wanted everyone to know my way was the only way. Unlike the Pharisees, I debated about something that was not even sin but just a difference of opinion. I thought, after all, my age and wisdom meant something, didn’t it? Was I not obligated to throw out my opinion, letting it hit whoever got in my way? Oh my, to say it was not pretty was an understatement!

On the other hand, this morning, I was like the woman who was “caught” in sin! The accuser the devil threatened to paralyze me with guilt and shame. I began to question if I could be forgiven for my actions even though I had asked. “Isn’t this just like you?” Satan hurled. “You have blown it again and forever this time!” he taunted. “You always do that, you will never change”, he accused! Satan’s stones tore at my flesh and wounded my heart.

As regret threatened to suck the joy right out of my soul, I heard the stone in my hand fall to the ground with a thud as he said “you without sin cast the first stone”. I no longer felt the ugliness of self-righteousness course through my veins but only the humbleness of knowing the Savior who loves me even though I am not perfect.

I felt not the stone of condemnation from the Lord but a grace flow over me. I heard the words “neither do I condemn you”. I knew that, even though some apologies were in order, the “accuser” was out of business and that this “old dog” could still learn from her mistakes. Praise God!

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

1 Corinthians 13:4

 

No comments:

Post a Comment