Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cat Herders, Saddle Up!


As the morning sun streamed through the dining room windows, I was happy as a clam. I had my coffee, my iPad and precious ones around me. My daughter checked her email from work as my granddaughter and grandson checked out facebook, I opened my latest bible study book and began to jot down scriptures that blessed my heart. I was in New York state for a baby shower for my youngest daughter, what could be better? And I wrote as much! I thought of that scripture that talks about having a quiver full and the blessings that having a big family brings. And I wrote that down too! As I came up for air and a swallow of coffee, I noticed that like me all three heads of those who had joined me for coffee that morning were down as well. Their minds immersed in the words that came across to them on iPhones, smartphones and like me iPads. This is the age in which we live! By the sliding of a finger across a screen the outside world opens up to us. Believe me I am not pointing fingers I too had entered that world and it wasn't even 8:00 o'clock yet!
The table vibrated signaling that my husband's phone had a text message, I opened it to a message from my "very pregnant" daughter saying "what's our plans for today?". A message was shot right back, "we'll hurry and get ready, come for coffee"! I had to laugh, thinking of the "hurry" part of that message that had gone out into cyber world. Being the mother of five daughters had taught me well. Herding cats would be easier and faster, but this day had to begin soon as we needed to prepare for the baby shower. I quickly jotted down in my study book how blessed I felt, even herding cats.

As I think on this scene I smile, but I regretted some things! I regretted not looking eyeball to eyeball and telling my grandkids how much their very presence meant to me as I sipped my coffee, I regretted not sharing how happy I was to be their grandmother and how blessed by God I am to be a cat herder of a full quiver!

I write lots of things, everywhere and on anything including my ipad, but I pray written words found after I'm gone will not be my only legacy. I pray the seeds of God's love are planted in the hearts of all my grandkids as well as the generations to come. I pray those who come after will remember my devotion to God and my love for them and give God the glory! This day I am reminded that we must be purposeful in passing down these things.


Listen, dear friends, to God's truth, bend your ears to what I tell you. I'm chewing on the morsel of a proverb; I'll let you in on the sweet old truths, Stories we heard from our fathers, counsel we learned at our mother's knee. We're not keeping this to ourselves, we're passing it along to the next generation-God's fame and fortune, the marvelous things he has done. He planted a witness in Jacob, set his Word firmly in Israel, Then commanded our parents to teach it to their children. So the next generation would know, and all the generations to come. . Psalm 78:1-7 Message




Okay round 'em up, this cat herder is in the saddle again!

No comments:

Post a Comment