Thursday, August 12, 2010

Born and Born Again!



Forty years ago today I became a Mom! I wasn’t prepared for the love I would have for this precious little girl. This gift that God had given us was more glorious than Larry or I could have expected. A man, who was a bit stingy with “I love yous” could hardly say anything else, a habit that has continued to this very day. We immediately thought she was beautiful, even with the cone head that she kept for a few days. We were a bit relieved when her head went to a normal shape and a perfect little blond head replaced it. This little wonder was really ours and there is not a more frightening or more precious thought. We brought her home to our one bedroom apartment, that we would soon out grow, but for now it was heaven as our little family settled in. Her Dad would hurry home from work just to hold and play with her, while a harried though happy Mom shared every little detail of my day with him.

We were married the year prior to her birth and my practical and wise husband announced that we should go to church regularly because he said “families seemed to do better if they went to church”. I don’t think either of us really understood the importance of that decision in the beginning. We didn’t grasp that we would meet Jesus and bring him into our home as well as our hearts. By the time Christa was born we had already accepted Christ as our Savior and Christ now was the center of our lives, that is why we named her Christa because we loved that Christ was in her name. As we, baby Christians ourselves, read children’s bible stories to her we learned right along with her. When we told her of the “big fish” that swallowed Jonah, we were just as awed as she was. When she bowed her tiny head and folded her hands in prayer we could not have been more blessed. Oh, how like God to think of the joy that children would bring to us.

I was to have the privilege of having and raising more children and seeing grandchildren born but it all started forty years ago today. As I ponder this day, and all that God has done in these forty years I am amazed and so grateful. I was told a few days ago by one of my kids that if I had not had so many kids I would have a lot more money and to that I said “no amount of money would I trade for the joy that has been mine for these forty years.”

Our Christa Leigh has grown into a beautiful woman now with children of her own and now she reads bibles stories to her daughter and she watches as she folds her hands in prayer. Christa continues to be a blessing to us and I stand amazed at the God and the child that came into our home and hearts so many years ago. Through many years of prayer we have seen miracles in her life and we thank God for her good health and her love for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment