Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Hokey Pokey


The older I get , the more I start to think of my own death. Don’t get me wrong , I don’t have a horrible disease or I‘m not, like some say, “homesick’ for heaven, I mean everyday it becomes more of a reality to me. It is not a morbid thing but reality! I think the Lord starts to introduce this eventuality to us as we age. It was very important to my mother and my mother-in-law to make their own funeral arrangements. I’m glad it wasn’t left up to me because with my scattered brain I surely would have forgotten something. My mom tries to get me to listen to a song she wants to be sung and I can’t bear to hear it because it makes me sad. As I thought of this the other day, I decided that I was going to find the funniest picture I have of myself to sit on my casket. I have one in mind of me with a funny hat and a big smile on my face, that’s what I want people to remember. I also planned the music and among the songs was “The Hokey Pokey” yes, you read it right. I thought it could be slid in there as an ice breaker. I could imagine the smiles as people stood and put their “right hand in and their right hand out, right hand in and shake it all about, you do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around”…..that’s what it’s all about! That stopped me in my tracks and in my funeral arranging…. That’s what it’s all about? I remember reading a bumper sticker that made me laugh even though it was sad also. It said “What if the hokey pokey is what it is all about?” I am so glad that I have a hope that is beyond the Hokey Pokey. I’m glad that, though this world seems hopeless at times, I have a hope and a purpose and a promise of an eternity. I do want people to know that the Lord has blessed me with much joy in my life and since the Hokey Pokey is out I am requesting the “Chicken Dance” I hope you'll be there! Have a joyous, purposeful day and remember that “the Hokey Pokey” is not what it is all about!
The bible says :“God’s plans endure forever; his purposes last eternally” Psalm 33:11“The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me.” Psalm 138:8
“I have carried you since you were born; I have taken care of you from your birth. Even when you are old, I will be the same. Even when your hair has turned gray, I will take care of you. I made you and will take care of you. Isaiah 46:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment