Friday, July 5, 2013

The Mountain List


Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, Move from here to there, and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting. Matthew 17:20-21 NKJV

When Jesus spoke these words, he was actually rebuking his disciples for their lack of faith in the healing of a man with seizures. When the disciples were alone with Jesus, they asked why their prayers were not answered. Jesus' answer came “because of your unbelief”. Oh my, how often I pray without faith that it will happen.

Then Jesus uses the mustard seed as an example of how much faith is needed to have our prayers answered. He went on to say that we can tell a mountain to move from here to there and it will happen if only we have faith.

Wow, I got excited and decided move the “mountains” on my prayer list to what I would call “The Mountain List”. First I thought of all those I pray for who are in need of salvation, as I did I remembered how, at times, I find myself doubting that they will ever find the Lord. So much time has passed, do I still believe that relationships can be mended? How about broken marriages? But Lord....they seem so far from one another! Do I have a “mustard seed” of faith to give? Healing? But Lord, they are so sick! Lord, forgive me, I am like the disciples?

As I began to scrawl those “mountain” sized needs on to my new list I found that nearly everything I pray for on a daily basis were too big! Too big for God I asked myself? Did Jesus not say that I could ask a mountain to move from here to there and it would happen if I had just a small amount of faith? Many times I, like the disciples, have not even the faith the size of a mustard seed!


Jesus did not leave the disciples or us without hope. He went on to say that with prayer and fasting we can see our prayers answered. What would happen to our world if only we had faith? Jesus didn't say we need faith as big as a mountain to move a mustard seed but the other way around.

Jesus help my unbelief! Please give me faith to move the “mountains” on my list!










No comments:

Post a Comment