Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Build An Ark!




One of my favorite Southern Gospel songs, is entitled “Build an Ark”. To summarize, the song is suggesting that we grab our families and hide from the “world” and its sinfulness. As I watch nonstop newscasts that spew nothing but bad news, school shootings and terrorist bombings, I wish that I could take my family and hide them in a safe place.

For the last ten days I have been blessed to have kids and grandkids in my home. We shared happy memories, hugs and kisses and many laughs but we also had serious discussions about the challenges that their families face today.

In Noah's day, he and his family faced more than challenges. The bible says, the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. God said in Genesis that He regretted that He made human beings. Can you imagine? I sometimes feel that there is so much bad in the world but then God sends someone or something into my life to remind me that there is still much good in the world. He reminds me to think on those things that are good, right and lovely. But as Noah built his ark, no such good was to be observed, he was reminded daily of the unyielding evil that plagued the earth that God had created.

I wondered about this character called Noah, how did he do it? How did he get up in the morning and face the world in which he lived? What kept him going when all the news was bad, when all was evil in his eyes, as well as God's eyes?

As I combed through the verses that made up the story of this man, Noah, who found favor with the Lord, I came across the answer.

This is the account of Noah and is family. Noah was a righteous man, the only blameless person living on earth at the time, and he walked in close fellowship with God. Genesis 6:9.

Noah was motivated by his desire to save his family and to please God. So Noah did the right things because he walked in close fellowship with God. Fellowship, according to the dictionary, means companionship. Noah knew God as his close companion. His close friend!

If we are to save our family we are called to live “righteous” lives before them as Noah did. The only way to live righteously, is to walk in close fellowship with God. Read scripture to get to know Him and pray to Him without ceasing. Walk with Him as a companion! Build an “ark” of love, soaked in prayer for your children and grandchildren.

“Build an Ark......Save your sons and your daughters!






















No comments:

Post a Comment