Monday, May 13, 2013

A Hot Cup of Joe and a Pure Heart!




I love coffee, but only hot coffee. You won't see me dawdling over my “Joe” for hours because hot is the only way I like it. In fact I am not one who waves the waitress over to for a “warm up” because when she mixes the not-so-hot with hot, I still have not-so-hot! I have to remove everything from my cup so that what goes into my cup is “pure” hot coffee.

I thought of this today as I read from the Psalms.

Psalm 51:10 reads;

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

When we ask God to give us a “pure heart” we have to empty ourselves of all things that are not pure. We have to get rid of an unforgiving spirit, prejudice and anything not pleasing to God. Just like my coffee, the old has to be removed so that not even a loose “ground” of complacency can remain. Unless we are willing to get rid of the “lukewarm” our cup cannot be refreshed.

Now, how do we do that, you might ask? Not alone my friend, we need God to rid us of these things. Ask the creator of a pure heart to take them away to make room for His spirit. Do you need to forgive? Ask God! Are you struggling with prejudice or unholy thoughts or actions? Bring these to God! Without a pure heart He cannot renew in me a steadfast spirit of which we all desire as we walk through this life.

A pure heart is not a lukewarm heart but a steadfast heart! A heart filled up with all that is pure is the way that God intended, so pour out the “coffee grounds” of your heart and start afresh with an empty cup ready to be renewed.

I think a hot cup of Joe is calling my name!














No comments:

Post a Comment