Thursday, November 22, 2012

Are The Candles Burning?



Well done,

good and faithful servant; you were faithful……. Enter into the joy of your lord.”

—Matthew 25:21, emphasis added



I remember leaving the house and giving instructions to my teenage daughters, to get the house cleaned up. I will say that many times they did just that, even lighting candles, making a nice meal or making brownies so that my arrival home would be met with not only a clean house but also wonderful fragrances that delighted this weary mom. At those times, I hope I expressed my gratitude and heartfelt thanks for their efforts. At other times with the same instructions, they would goof off until the time I drove into the driveway. I could almost hear the scurrying as they realized that I was home and there would be no time for brownies or candle lighting. Usually the vacuum would be humming as if they were just finishing up but with further investigation I would find that in reality they had just began. At those times I hope I wasn’t too hard on them because I know that I am guilty of the same thing. Waiting! Waiting and putting off what I know I should do.

Though it is one thing to procrastinate on cleaning house it is entirely another thing to procrastinate on spiritual matters. “One of these days, when I have more time I will go to church” some might say. “When I get more time I will get to know God better, I might even read the bible.” was the reply of another. I heard one young person say “When I get old I will be saved and follow Jesus”. Waiting!

As to when He will return, Jesus himself said that no one knows the exact date not even Jesus himself, only God the Father. The bible says we are to be and stay ready for his return.

No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father’ ” (Matthew 24:36).

Even though, I don’t believe in any certain date set by man, I do believe that Jesus will return and I pray that I will have been faithful to what he asked me to do.

Today I read this story about a plane crash on Thanksgiving Day 1996. It seems this plane was hijacked and the hijackers demanded the plane, critically low in fuel, turn eastward. Pleading from the pilot to refuel was to no avail. Before crashing into the Indian Ocean the pilot announced, “Listen guys, we’re all dead people. There is no argument now.” At hearing this, one faithful follower of Christ, a preacher, named Andy got busy. He didn’t WAIT! Here is the account according to Andy’s wife who survived the crash:

“As soon as the captain told us we were going to crash I heard the distinct snap of my husband’s seat belt. He was up and out of his chair. Going down the aisle row by row he earnestly shared the gospel of Christ with any who would listen. Before the sickening screech of twisting metal and the 110 mph crash of our plane into the water, Andy had signaled me that 20 passengers had trusted in Jesus for their salvation. Andy never made it back to the safety of his seat belt. But he

took twenty souls with him to paradise.”

May the Lord find me busy when he returns, not on some man made schedule but on the Father’s own schedule. May I have the candles lit and all things in order when He returns and may the fragrance of my obedience delight the Savior!

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment