Friday, April 27, 2012

WISSEN UP!









I recently read a story of a busy mom who, like most moms of small children, was multi-tasking. She explains, that she was cooking supper after a hard day at work, while at the same time, helping her oldest child with homework in the kitchen. As she tried to juggle two tasks, her youngest came in excited about what happened at school. “Mommy guess what happen at school today” he said excitedly. “What happened, Honey” she asked with head still down helping his older sibling. “Mommy, it was so fun, guess what happen”, he repeated. “What happened, I’m listening” she said without looking up. Taking her face in his little hands he said, “No, Mommy, I want you to “wissen with your eyes”!


In this age of technology, I would guess many children long for someone who listens with their eyes. I know I have an ipad and I can tell you if it is near me, I have to check out what is going on in “cyber world“. I have found myself looking at it while others were talking to me and have had the reverse, I have tried to talk to the top of someone’s head while they searched the net on their gadgets. In a room full of teens you will most likely find 9 out of 10 of them engrossed in these little hand held objects. But unfortunately we adults do likewise a lot of the time.




But way before all these modern gadgets, my kids teased me about being somewhere else while they were talking. They always knew when I gave them an “uh huh” followed by a blank look that my mind was elsewhere. I might have been thinking about what I would have for supper or about a hundred things moms think about. None the less my mind was on something other than what they were saying. I say this to say this phenomenon is not new but might be a little worse, I think, because both listener and talkers are so preoccupied. Through out the bible we are admonished to tell our children about God and His love, his faithfulness and the great hope he has for all generations but will they hear us? Will we have to email them, message, tweet or face book them the great news? I think we will have a better chance of sending our message if we start to “wissen with our eyes”




The dictionary says to listen is to make a conscious effort to hear. To pay attention to something and take it into account. (Wow, how often I don't listen)




To “wissen” is to stop what you are doing, look that child in the eyes as if they were the only person in the world and pay attention. No matter our age we long to be known. Let them know they are known by you and by their Father in heaven.






WISSEN UP!






The living, the living--they praise you, as I am doing today; fathers tell their children about your faithfulness. Isaiah 38:19






We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. Psalm 78:4









 









 









 









 









 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment