Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pedicure from a Servant



Jesus knew that the Father had given him authority over everything and that he had come from God and would return to God. So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples' feet, drying them with the towel he had around him. (John 13:3-5 NLT)

A couple of years ago, when our family was together, my daughter Christa decided we should have a mani/pedi party. That's when we all give each other a manicure and a pedicure. She came in with all the equipment she needed to get the party going. She had nail clippers, nail files and not to be forgotten nail polish. She plugged in the foot massager filled with warm water and started the festivities. We first sat down with our feet in the water which was heavenly in itself but then she pulled her chair up with a towel on her lap, took each foot and used her special lotions to make us feel like royalty. It started with just us girls but then the guys (Shane in picture) got in line too. Foot by foot she worked her magic, foot by foot, oohs and ahs were uttered. She gave a gift that only someone with a servant's heart could give.

As I look at each day of this Passion Week, with the Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem, chasing the money changer from the temple and the Sermon on the Mound, we now come to what is called Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday. Most would recognize this day as the Last Supper of our Lord. The bible tells us that after they had eaten the Passover Feast, Jesus got up and washed the feet of his disciples.

As I read the scripture, I discovered something I had not noticed before. It said in effect, Jesus knew where he stood with God the Father so he became a servant and got up and began to wash the feet of his disciples. Did you get that? Jesus was confident enough in who he was in God's plan, to lower himself to serve. Are we confident enough to be servants or do we go by some other measurement? The Pharisees of that time were more knowledgeable than anyone about the scriptures, would they have bent a knee to wash the feet of this motley crew? No! The disciples themselves were jockeying for a special place in the kingdom, would they have offered to fill a basin and wash the feet of their brothers? Probably not! Sometimes we serve with our knees bent, along with our elbow, patting ourselves on the back. We all tend to look at who we are in the eyes of the world instead of the eyes of our Lord.

Ouch, that hurt! As I go into Easter, my fervent prayer is to be so confident of my place in God's plan that I will move ego and pride aside and will have a servant's heart. Who am I? I am a child of the King, I am the one that God made plans for even before I was concieved and I am why God sent His Son to die on the cross. I think that should give me the security I need to serve others.







Maundy means “a new commandment” as found in John 13:34-35





A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”





Christa, I am ready for another mani/pedi party!












Sent from Jeanie!

No comments:

Post a Comment