Saturday, April 14, 2012

Gone to the Dogs?


How do you approach a problem? I was amused a few days ago when I watched our four dogs handle what they perceived as a problem.

As I sat watching over the peaceful scene from my prayer chair, I also had to look at my companions who stretched out around me. If dogs smile, they were all smiling. It was one of those beautiful days that we received as a bonus this year. Not a cloud in the sky, a soft warm breeze, and the sun seemed to be almost singing chords of delight. Suddenly I caught movement in the distance at our neighbor’s house. Daisy our Boxer, was up on her feet first, hair standing up on her back but uttered only a friendly whoof I could barely hear in the direction of the intruder (neighbor on his own property). That began a chain of comical events in our happy group. Peppy, our mixed breed, cleverly called a ChaWeenie jumped to his feet hair standing tall making him look much bigger than his normally small frame. Not knowing what was going on, he began to bark in high pitches in the other direction with all his little might. This triggered Rocky our Blue Heeler to run off, as usual, searching for birds, since that is his official, self-assigned “job” to protect us from any bird that would land on our premises. You have to understand Rocky never looks in front of him he always looks up, eyes focused on the sky. Lucy our “designer dog“ Cavapoo, who had been sitting on my lap decided Rocky was on to something and chased after him, which caused even more excitement in the camp. Peppy quickly chased them both, thinking they knew where they were going. Meanwhile, Daisy, after assessing the situation sauntered back to sit with me occasionally letting out one of those half-hearted barks which only perpetuated the problem as the others ran in circles trying to see what was happening. Finally, fearing the worse, Lucy headed back, ears flapping, tongue out, and jumped into the safest place she knew, my lap. Whatever it was, she knew I could handle it.

Unfortunately, I could see myself reacting to my problems in the same ways! Sometimes I worry about things that are not even problems. Sometimes because others are worried, I worry too. Then other times I don’t even see a real problem coming because I have spent my energy on things that never happened. Oh, how God must watch me in disbelief as I puff up thinking I can take care of things on my own. Why do I forget that it isn’t until I run back to the safest place I know that I can rest. He even says, “If you have a heavy burden” bring it to me,” He says “do not be anxious about anything”!

Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.
Philippians 4:6-7 Message

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you” (1 Peter 5:6-7)

Now, I will say that my Lucy, even after jumping on my lap, did shiver and shake a bit but she knew she was in the right place and after a few minutes rested calmly. I sometimes do the same even after I have given my worries to God but after years of practicing, I have gotten better at it. I am realizing that He never fails me, no matter how big or how small the problems are I can trust Him because He loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment