Monday, November 28, 2011

INTERRUPTIONS!

I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May your word to me be fulfilled." Then the angel left her. Luke 1:38




This time of the year the word plans take on a whole new meaning! Most of us have a book full of plans! I plan to decorate my house from top to bottom with glitter and glow and all that says Christmas! I plan to search through cook books to pull out favorite Christmas recipes that scream tradition! I have dates jotted down for traditional Christmas parties that make Christmas...Christmas! I have not allowed or planned for interruptions! Have you?



How do I handle interruptions? Even small interruptions can send me, asking "why?". Why me Lord, I didn't plan on this? This is too hard, I did not see this coming, Lord! Lord, did you not bother to look at my daily planner before you sent this interruption into my life? When I think of how I handle interruptions, I am afraid "gracefully" doesn't always come to mind! Drama Queen maybe!



As I read the account of Mary I can imagine that she had not planned on interruptions either. In fact, this very young bride to be, maybe as young as twelve, had her life planned out for her. Her father would have planned who she would marry and when, she would marry Joseph the carpenter, who she was already legally bound to. She would know where she would live, and would have known her primary role in life would be to have children, heirs for her husband. Everything was planned for Mary except the visit from an angel announcing that she, a virgin, had been chosen to be the mother of God's only Son, Jesus! The Messiah!



Oh, to have the courage of Mary as she stood looking into the face of God's will, understanding the magnitude of what He was asking and saying "I am the Lord's servant, may your word to me be fulfilled!" No wonder the angel Gabriel called her highly favored by God!



Lord, help me, even in the chaos of this season, stop and remember Mary who sought only to do God's will. Even as I pack up the lights, glitter and bows may I go into the coming year with the same courage and trust as Mary, the brave mother of our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ. May I remember that I am His servant and may I be willing to be used even if "my" plans are interrupted!










No comments:

Post a Comment