Tuesday, July 12, 2011

PURPOSEFUL!





Having just come from the mirror that was much too honest with me and very unkind, I went to answer the phone! As happens many times the caller asked “what cha doin’?”! Through my bitterness and agitation I was so tempted to say “just sitting here growing facial hair”! Why, Lord do “ladies of advancing age” grow hair on our faces? If we were like men, a hair on our face would not be such a big deal! But this is disturbing!


Some days I feel as if that is all I do, is sit and grow facial hair! Retirement can seem like that on occasion. Days when if seems you do nothing important! In my reading I came across a word that I like very much, it is PURPOSEFUL! The dictionary says it means “determined, focused on a goal”. Often, I have to re-evaluate my purpose in life! I long to be purposeful when it comes the Lord!


1 Thessalonians 5:16-17


Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.


In the scripture I read today, there is purposeful words like BE joyful, PRAY continually, and GIVE thanks. Sometimes instead of being purposeful I wait until the notion strikes, the weather is right or maybe when I am in a better mood! I am a procrastinator by nature so it is easy to wait for a better time to do something so I think that is why that this word stands out to me! If we are purposeful, if we live life with purpose He tells in verses 23-24 of that same chapter what He will do.


I like this from Message


May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together spirit, soul, and body and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. The One who called you is completely dependable. If he said it, he’ll do it!


I love it that GOD HIMSELF will make us holy! If my God is willing to do so many things for me and has called me, shouldn’t I be just as purposeful in doing his will? I want to be a do-er of his word not just a hear-er. This is my prayer for all of us who need to refocus and be purposeful in all we do!


Get back facial hair I have important things to do!





 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment