Saturday, June 5, 2010

Worry Sour?



I have several things on my “bucket list”, one of them is to have a horse. I don’t tell everyone this because I know that look that I get when I say it. You know the one that says “ARE YOU CRAZY….. AT YOUR AGE?” I see that look often when I mention something that is mainly done by young people. Because this is something that I have always wanted I have looked up a lot of things on the subject. I have looked at horses for sale and have even sent pictures to the “horse woman”, of our family, my daughter, Mendy.

The other day, as I looked up “horses for sale”, I came across two terms that I wasn’t familiar with and had to look them up. One was “barn sour” and the other was “buddy sour”. I had an idea that it probably wasn’t a good thing when it came to horses. Barn sour is when a horse gets so attached to the barn that he doesn’t want to leave and if given a chance he will bolt back to the barn. Buddy sour is similar except the horse doesn’t want to leave his buddy whether it be another horse or another stable mate. Mendy told me of an incident that would describe this situation. El Roi her horse had to be separated from his “buddy” Ruby Lulu, a miniature donkey for just a short time, Mendy said it was hard to pull El Roi away from his buddy he kept turning back as Ruby cried out for him to come back.

I came up with a new “sour” it is “worry sour” . At times, I worry, lose sleep and much of my joy by worrying. With much prayer and knowledge that worry accomplishes nothing, I will finally lay my worries at the feet of Jesus. The burden that I carried is lighten and I can at last sleep in peace as I hand everything over to Him. Wow, wouldn’t you think I would leave them there? Not always! I see my worries from afar they bid me to come back so I head to them as the horse heads back to the barn. Worries, though not pleasant, become a way of life, sort of like a “buddy” to us. I have said jokingly “that if I didn’t have something to worry about I would find something“. That makes me “worry sour”. The bible talks a lot about worry and anxiety and trusting God during those times. Philippians 4:6 is one of my favorite verses and reminds me to tell God about them and leave them there in “HIS” good hands.

Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6

I don’t know if my dream of having a horse will ever come true but I do know that just as “barn sour” or “buddy sour” is not good for horses, “worry sour” is not good for us. Again I will leave my worries with the Lord and again he will lead me to green pastures to feast on His word. Again it will tell me to Trust and not worry!

2 comments:

  1. Cameron came up to me yesterday and asked me if it was true that I really wanted a horse. I couldn't figure out for the life of me where he got that idea. He said I had posted something on the web about it. I thought he was crazy. Later in the day I sat down to read your blog and it hit me. He had read it, too, only not enough of it to realize that I don't write it! (This has now been explained to him.) I have it set as one of my home pages and it happens to be the one that appears first when I open the internet ... and he did that before I did yesterday! I'm sure he was hoping that I'd say, "Of course, Cam, let's go get a horse!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny, I bet he was ready to jump into the saddle. Just tell him to come to Illinois and he can ride mine. He might be a grown man before I get one. heehee I have so enjoyed watching your kids grow up on facebook. Also I am so honored that you read my posts. Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete