Friday, June 11, 2010

Sea of Faces!

It happened again just a few days ago. I was handed a big permanent marker and a little label and asked to put a name tag on. As I went into the meeting the speaker called me by name and welcomed me. As people raised their hands to speak, she called them by their name (written on their tag) of course. A nice touch . I have had times when I wished someone had a name tag on that would give me some clue to who they were. Even with a tag it is hard to be inconspicuous and slyly look to see the name. Shane, my son-in-love, when conducting a teen camp, would challenge himself to remember the names of all the kids at that camp. It might have been hundreds but he managed to do it. Amazing!

I was reminded in scripture of the sea of faces that Jesus looked upon in his ministry here on earth. At one time it is recorded that there were 5000 men not to mention the women and children. I am sure that there was no names scrawled on a name tag for each one but he knew their name. People came to him with their physical problems their mental problems and all problems in general. I can imagine if instead of names their were problems written on their tags. I can see bankruptcy and unemployment written on one, cancer, mental illness or blindness written on another. Would there be people who listed their sins that needed forgiven lying, cheating, adultery, murder, or stealing? As they approached would Jesus have to squint to see the handwritten notes on these tags? Would he have to ask them what brought them there that day?

The bible tells us that as he looked at the masses, he saw individuals, each one of us. He knows how many hairs are on our head, and miraculously he knows the burdens on our hearts. Why would he want to know me, my burdens or my frailty?

It all comes down to compassion and love. The bible says that he had commpassion on the people and ordered them to be fed. Can we fathom that love? Ephesians 3:17-19 gives us a glimpse into that kind of love.

I pray that Christ will live in your hearts by faith and that your life will be strong in love and be build on love. And I pray that you and all of God’s holy people will have the power to understand the greatness of Christ’s love___ how wide and how long and how high and how deep that love is. Christ’s love is greater than anyone can ever know, but I pray that you will be able to know that love. Then you can be filled with the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19

Because of love, Shane was challenged to know every teen’s name at the camp and it is the wide, long, high and deep love of God that makes him know everything that is our hearts. He knows our every thought, our every deed and our every need. No name tags needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment