Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Great Treasure

I have always been one to love a treasure hunt. I like those games that you have to look for hidden items within a picture. We even had a game on our computer like that “ San Francisco’s Great Adventure” and I played it by the hours. A friend told me about a new version of treasure hunting called “geochaching” which, if I understand right, you set out in search of a cache using you GPS for directions. Sounds fun to me! One time I remember walking down a railroad track searching for blackberries but the only treasure I found was chiggers. When I was a child, we hunted for morel mushrooms in an old cemetery and we would bring home bags full of the delicacy. As a child,the fun was in the hunting for the treasure. I think that within all of us there is a seeking for a great prize or a treasure. God gives us a hunger for truth and purpose and some search their whole life for it but look in the wrong places.

Psalm 119:162 says “I rejoice in your word like one who finds a great treasure.”

His truth can be found within the pages of the bible. We have several bibles in our house. I have bibles that the kids left here, from their childhood. Inside, there is usually a name of a dear Sunday School teacher that gave the bible to them. Some of them have little tabs on the side to help find the books of the bible. Some of them are written in, I love these, that tell of a struggle and the victory they found there. The bible I use right now is a bible that was given to Nicholas our sweet boy. It was given to him by Nealy and Tim on some occasion and says “read this book often and hold it near to your heart” but for right now my “prodigal” does not hold this book near or dear so I hold it for him. As I pray for him, I write in it things that he will appreciate one day. I will use this precious Bible until there is a time when he will rejoice and see it as a great treasure. A day when the treasure he is looking for will be found within the tattered blue cover of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment