Saturday, December 5, 2020

Lord, I'm Coming Home

Lord, I’m Coming Home So he got up and went to his father. "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him, and kissed him. Luke 15:20 When I was growing up, “coming home” didn’t mean too much to me. It usually meant a quick run from a neighbor’s house to mine or maybe coming home from my grandma’s house thirty miles away. My Aunts and Uncles and grandparents lived locally and never had to “come home.” Until my kids moved to other states all over the country, “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” meant no more than a whimsical tune that I liked to sing during the holidays. That same song now sometimes comes with great anticipation as I look forward to my kids coming home. Jesus told the best “coming home” story ever in a parable. It was about a young man who wanted to strike out and see the world past his father’s fence line. Things were old fashion, dull, with the excitement around there non-existent. However, there was a catch. He wanted his inheritance before his father had even died so he could enjoy it in his youth. Amazingly the father agreed, and off the prodigal son went looking for what he thought he couldn’t find at home. The wayward boy soon squandered the inheritance on wild living and was reduced to feeding pigs. It was then that the prodigal decided to go home to his Father, who ran to him with open arms. In my search, I found a slow and steady song with a rather solemn tone, “Lord, I’m Coming Home” by William J. Kirkpatrick, published in 1892. Kirkpatrick wrote these lyrics with a young soloist in mind. This boy sang his solo at the church where William was music director and then quickly left before the sermon. Upon finishing the song, he asked the young man to sing his new song. This evening he decided to stay for the sermon and found the Lord at an alter of prayer. Coming home can mean many things, but it seems that it always generates joy. Whether coming home to a childhood home at Christmas, returning to God as a sinner forgiven or the ultimate coming to our heavenly dwelling, the Father’s arms will be open wide to greet us. Open wide Thine arms of love, Lord, I’m coming home. Lord, I'm Coming Home Hymn Lyrics I’ve wandered far away from God, Now I’m coming home; The paths of sin too long I’ve trod, Lord, I’m coming home. Refrain Coming home, coming home, Nevermore to roam, Open wide Thine arms of love, Lord, I’m coming home. I’ve wasted many precious years, Now I’m coming home; I now repent with bitter tears, Lord, I’m coming home. Refrain I’m tired of sin and straying, Lord, Now I’m coming home; I’ll trust Thy love, believe Thy Word, Lord, I’m coming home. Refrain My soul is sick, my heart is sore, Now I’m coming home; My strength renew, my hope restore, Lord, I’m coming home. Refrain My only hope, my only plea, Now I’m coming home; That Jesus died, and died for me. Lord, I’m coming home. Refrain I need His cleansing blood, I know, Now I’m coming home; O wash me whiter than the snow, Lord, I’m coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment