Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Detours



I hate detours, don't you?  I hate them because I am always afraid I won't get back to the same road I was traveling on.  I have a fear of driving for months not knowing where I am.  The author of the devotional I read this morning asked, "Have you had detours in your life in recent months?"

It didn't take long for me to answer this question.  I would have to say it was the death of my mother, my biggest fan and supporter.  My grief threatened to keep me off the road I was traveling on but my merciful Lord had other plans for me.  The detour only made me stronger, more grateful and gave me a new compassion for those who lose loved ones. Her memory is sweet and only makes me want to finish on the road God has set before me because I know she is applauding me

The other detour was a health problem that made me think of my own mortality and how our lives are so brief and fragile.  We only travel through life one time and we can choose to stay on the road God has planned for us and use these detours to grow spiritually or we can wonder aimlessly in our grief or despair.

Detours are, many times, painful but in this fallen world we are bound to come across them.  So, weary travelers, buckle up and don't be afraid of detours that has or will come because you have a guide who can get you on the main road again only a stronger and a more compassionate you.  He is our hope in times of trouble and despair!

“Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:23‬ ‭NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment