Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Carpenter


If I had been the carpenter, Jesus from the small town of Nazareth, would I have left my comfortable surroundings to preach the gospel?  Would the smell of the sawed wood and the contentment of making something with my own hands lure me to stay in the carpenter shop?  Did Jesus treasure the sound of Mary's voice as she called him to supper?  Did he have close friends that he attended school with that made him laugh and feel secure?  I believe he felt all of these things but the pull to bring salvation to you and me was stronger than the pull to stay in the carpenter shop.

Many times the new year brings calls to change our lives.  We want to change our eating habits, exercise more and most of all, we want to tell someone about Jesus.  But instead stepping out, we fall back into our comfortable ways and lose our desire to change.  I say, “I'll change tomorrow or tell someone about Jesus Monday or help the broken next year”.  I find myself never wanting to leave the contentment of the “carpenter shop”.

This year we lost two of our loved ones and it made me think about how fragile life really is.  It made me wonder who needs to know the hope of Jesus this year?  Who is God counting on me to tell about his unfailing love?  Which hurting person in my world needs to know that Jesus left the carpenter shop to die for each one of us and heal us from our brokeness?  How can I linger in my sameness and comfort, when someone needs to know about the Carpenter?

"Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary?”  Mark 6:3a

No comments:

Post a Comment