Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Heaven is Sweeter


In the account found in Luke's gospel, there were two thieves hanging on the cross next to Jesus. One thief mocked Jesus saying “if you are so great save yourself and us too”. But, recognizing that Jesus was who he said he was, the Messiah, the other man defended Jesus and asked him to remember him when he came into his Kingdom. There is no account of Jesus examining the “good thiefs” works. Jesus didn't say you have never been a “fisher of men” like Peter or my “beloved disciple” like John. From the lips of Christ did not come, “What church board did you sit on? What Sunday School class did you teach or how much money did you throw into the offering plate?” No, Jesus simply turned to this man and said these words, “Truely I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise”.

Salvation cannot be worked for or bought with money, it is a free gift from Jesus Christ. I have never been so aware of this truth as I was a few days ago when my very sick brother accepted Jesus as his Savior. I thought that I would have time to share some beloved scripture with him and mentor him as a new Christian as the days went on but that was not to be, he was caught up into “Paradise” just a few short days later. No, he didn't have time to get to church or declare his salvation to the world he simply ask Jesus to remember him and Christ took him to himself and said, “Truely I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise”!

I will miss my dear little brother but heaven is all the sweeter today because he is there!
 
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.  John 3:16


No comments:

Post a Comment