Friday, March 29, 2013

I Could Hide My Own Easter Eggs!



 
On more than one occasion, keeping with the holiday, I have been accused of being able to hide my own Easter eggs when it comes to my memory. Most of the time this indictment is not a good thing but on occasion it is quite helpful since I am able to read books that I have already read and really enjoy them. One such book has been “Jesus” by Beth Moore. Each year I save the last few chapters to read at Easter time. She leads you carefully through the bible and Jesus' last days and I never fail to be blessed.

I love this book because it is not just the author that leads me but the holy word of God reads like a story of love. The Gospel of Matthew starts in chapter 21 to trace the lasts days of our Lord, starting with the Triumphal Entry.

If it had been me I would have just sat down and waited and felt sorry for myself, if I had known I was going to die in a week. But as I read on, Christ did many miracles in that week and told parables to help the people understand. He told the disciples that they could say to a “mountain, go throw yourself into the sea” and it would be done, if they just believed. He showed His authority in the temple to the Pharisees. He told the parable about a wedding banquet, He discussed politics, taxes and marriage. He gave us the greatest commandment which is “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind”. But then He goes on: This is the first and the greatest commandment and the second is like;'Love your neighbor as yourself'. He tells of the Seven Woes and the Ten Virgins, not to mention the signs we should look for at the end of the age. Not forgetting our animal friends, he even tells of the sheep and the goats. Whew! Are you getting the picture that this was not a restful or reflective week for the Son of God? And can you see that this is not a boring story that can be read just once?

Then you need to listen to the sounds! The sounds of the angry crowd, shouting “crucify him”. You need to hear the brutal whip as it slashed through his flesh as he was beaten. The sounds as people spat upon His holy face. Hear the sounds as He strained to carry His own cross up to Golgotha. Shutter at the sound of the hammer hitting the nail that sunk into his hands and feet. Listen closely and you will hear the air being forced out of his lungs as the old cross is heaved heavenward and jolted into place. “I thirst” he said. “My God, my God why have you forsaken me?” he said through parched lips. Be amazed when hearing these words that comes from the lips of the Great I Am, “Forgive them Father because they don't know what they are doing”! Can you see it now? The Messiah, King of Kings and Lord of Lords using His last earthly breath to give us such rich words of hope! And then..... “It is finished”!

Now the good part, the part I could and do read over and over! HE AROSE FROM THE GRAVE!

Though my memory leaves, a lot to be desired, and I could truly hide my own Easter eggs, I could never forget what Christ did for us on the cross that Friday so many years ago. Even more important I never want to forget that He did not stay in that grave but is with the Father in Heaven.

Happy Easter Everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment