Monday, December 17, 2012

I Heard The Bells

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day!

"I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along
The unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Till, ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime
A chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead; nor doth he sleep!
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!"

I have heard this song many times without knowing it's author or the story behind the words. The entries into a journal was penned during the Civil War era and after a tragic fire took Longfellow's wife.

 The year after Fanny's death he wrote in his journal "a Merry Christmas say the children, but that is no more for me.". By the next Christmas his oldest child Charles was severely wounded in the horrible war between the states. The Christmas of that year, 1863, Longfellow made no entry into his journal, thinking it was better to keep silent.  It was Christmas day of 1864 that he wrote the words we now sing.

I am reminded today, of the horrific tragedy in Connecticut that took place a year ago, and of those who would say, with the next to last stanza, "and in despair I bow my head", declaring that death does not take a holiday. Hardships do not lessen and in our midst there are those who hurt so badly they proclaim with Longfellow, "There is no peace on earth, for hate is strong and mocks the song, of peace on earth good will to men". My heart is encouraged by the last stanza which proclaims "God is not dead nor does he sleep" "the wrong shall fail, the right prevail with peace on earth good will to men!"

Behold, He that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep" (Psalm 121:4).

Lord, give peace to the broken hearted, give rest to the weary because I know you care about those who hurt today! Amen!

Sent from Jeanie!













No comments:

Post a Comment