Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Lesson Atop An Illinois Grain Bin


I got up today as usual before the sun came up, but as I read my bible and prayed, I looked across the field, at a cross that was lit on Thanksgiving evening, an annual event. I was taken by the stark contrast between the barren field and the warm light that sits atop a grain bin., (How Illinois is that?) and to me it was a beautiful reminder that I should not to lose sight of the cross during this Christmas Season, not even as we sing Silent Night and think of the little baby, sleeping in the manger.

I, like many people, display my treasured Nativity in it’s appropriate place each year. I wonder as I look at the familiar porcelain characters, what the real characters thought about as God’s plan unfolded. I imagine they were surprised at this activity that surrounded the birth of Jesus. They must have been bewildered at the hustle and bustle of the shepherds coming in and out, and at the wise men crowding into the little stable. What went through their mind as men begged for just a glimpse at the child that lay in Mary’s arms.

Though Mary and Joseph knew God’s plan in part, they like us at this Christmas season, most likely did not look past the activity of this hectic time, to the cross, that lay on the horizon for this dear child, who slept before them. But without the cross, the shepherds got the message wrong, the wise men were looking at the wrong star and you and I would still be lost in our sin.

In a short time this cross that sits atop the corn bin will shut off until darkness comes again, when once again the dark barren land will be illuminated by the light from the cross. I thank God that one day a baby that was Christ the Lord came into our world and that He brought light to my barren soul through an old rugged cross.

And
an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid ; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people ; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:9-11

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment