Friday, May 18, 2012

Words From The Jar!



A few days before Mother's Day my grandson Garrick and his girl friend Soo Jen came out to visit. It was a beautiful morning and we enjoyed these two young people so much. We spent much of the time outside on that perfect, spring morning but when we came in I dug out an old jar that I consider one of my prized possessions. When Garrick was just a little guy in grade school he decorated it with paint and covered the lid with colorful fabric it is beautiful to me but mostly I love what is inside the "ornate" jelly jar. On strips of paper are written, in his own handwriting, little notes that say things like: "I love you", "you are nice" and one that must have been written about someone else, "you are cool"! These strips cut with pinking shears were to be pulled out when I wanted a pick-me-up! And they did what they were designed to do! They brought a smile, thinking about the little hands that wrote the words!

This morning as I reached into the word of God I thought about the one, who the bible says, breathed the words that also made me smile. Today I read from Psalm 139. The first verse starts out:
You have looked deep into my heart, [Lord], and you know all about me. (PSALMS 139:1 CEV)

Don't we all long to be known? In this hectic, sometimes chaotic, and anonymous world don't we long for someone to look deeply into our heart and know us more than superficially and yet love us. In God's own handwriting He says I know you! I know your flaws, I know your talents, I know your sins and I love you!

In the next few verses He says: I know when you rest, when you work and "from heaven" He knows our thoughts and before we even speak He knows our words! That is amazing, since many times I am even surprised by the words that come out of my mouth.

As I read this well known Psalm, each verse was a love note to me! Like Garrick's notes written on bright colored paper, they were penned just to encourage me! Overcome by this great truth, I finally had to say with the Psalmist: I can't understand all this! Your concern and interest in me is far above my comprehension! I love you Lord, and though your love is far greater than I could hope or imagine, I thank you for the love notes!

I challenge us all to look into these eyes of the One who "knows" us, but still loves us! Can you feel His eyes looking deep into your heart?

You have looked deep
into my heart, [Lord],
and you know all about me.
You know when I am resting
or when I am working,
and from heaven
you discover my thoughts.
You notice everything I do
and everywhere I go.
Before I even speak a word,
you know what I will say,
and with your powerful arm
you protect me
from every side.
I can't understand all of this!
Such wonderful knowledge
is far above me. (PSALMS 139:1-6 CEV)

On Mother's Day, Garrick wrote me a text saying: Happy Mother's Day, take notes from the jar today! I did! Thank you Garrick, for the love notes!

No comments:

Post a Comment