Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Roses are Red......





Since I have been studying the book "The Power of a Woman's Words" for the last few weeks, it seems WORDS are everywhere! Words come to mind as I sort through my upstairs closet that holds thousands of WORDS. Words that come to mind through pictures as well as words contained in the kid's writings. I have decided to pass my treasured words on to the kids for safe keeping, and as I sort through the years of our lives, I have traveled down memory lane taking in the sweetness as I go! I found a huge pile of Homemade Mother's Day cards that invariably start with "Roses are red and violets are blue" and end with things like "yur a great Mom and I love you"!


As I read through those notes of love, I wondered if my words were always that kind and encouraging, I hope so!

I hope, instead of a "you're a nice girl", I told Christa how I loved her thoughtfulness to others, a trait she still posses even as an adult. In fact, I have been the recipient of her gift of thoughtfulness many times.
Instead of just telling Kelly I was proud of the A she got in writing, I hope I thought to tell her how wonderfully she expressed herself in words. These words that have lifted my spirits many times.

How deeply Nealy cares for those who are afflicted and downtrodden, I hope I verbalized to her about the unique gift she had been given, instead of a broad brush, "you are a good girl". Did I notice this tendency in my sweet child and tell her so? My eyes fill with tears thinking of it even now.

 Missy has always made us all laugh, probably because she had a waiting audience in her big sisters. I hope I remembered to tell her how healing her gift is to those who need the lightness that a laugh gives, especially to me. I know I have told her she is like "sunshine" in a room.

From a very early age, Mendy liked to help out, with no job too dirty for her to tackle. I hope I took her aside and bragged about this particular part of her character that I especially cherished. I can still see her helping her dad with building a porch but I remember those days of coming home to a clean house with candles burning, knowing I could rest in the glow of this child's servant heart.

If ever I was tackling any project, I knew that Nick could sort it out because he was given that kind of mind. He knew how to sort it all out in the best order. Thinking back, I hope I praised him for having that ability that helped me out many times even as he was just a little guy.

If time and space permitted I could go on and on about grandkids but don't EVEN get me started about them.

I hope they know that we are all family, but God put into each of them a uniqueness that only belongs to them. I hope they know that even though I often use words like "The Kids", "The Girls", or "My Family", that I see them individually as the amazing people. Oh how I appreciate the special God given gifts that make them who they have become. I hope I remembered to tell them.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Thank you, my Heavenly Father for letting me be the mother of these you have given me.


Roses are red and violets are blue

You're all great kids and I love you!












No comments:

Post a Comment