Sunday, February 5, 2012

Heart Healthy to the Core!





As I read through a book on "heart health", I came across, something I had not given much thought to before. The author said that in order to have good health we need to strengthen our core. In this illustration, he referred to the core as being our back, abdomen, and pelvic muscles. Those muscles that helps us to sit and stand upright. He gave an example of a baby sitting on the floor with legs stretched out and back straight. As a child our muscles hold us up, our posture is perfect therefore letting our bodies work as God intended them to work. Because a six month old baby has not learned to slouch, his posture is perfect. This author said the worst thing that happens to us as we grow up is sitting in a chair. We then learn to sit leaning back on it which take the need for the core muscles to be strong. As I was reading, I was taking sitting to a whole new level in my big overstuffed chair with ottoman. My back at that point would have been highly offended if I would have asked it to straighten up. So easily I slid into this comfortable position, how often I am drawn to the ease of this soft chair.







As I thought of this I thought of another core. The core of new Christians, no matter their age, they are babies in the faith. Their core is Jesus and His forgiveness. If you want to be rejuvenated in your walk with Jesus, just sit down and talk with a new Christian. They have an insatiable desire to learn more about him and most of the time they can’t help but share with all who will listen, what has happened in their lives. They sit upright using their new found spiritual muscles to see all that God is and all He does.







Many times as we go along in our faith it is easy to lean back into our big, comfortable chairs and take in the benefits. I know for myself, I rarely come in contact with people who don’t already know the Lord or those who have already heard what I have to say about salvation. So those muscles that once held up my core are weakened for lack of use. I get comfortable in my own life and lean back into the past when I was a “baby Christian” and wanted everyone to know what I had found. I treasure those times when I actually led someone to Christ or had a part in there spiritual growth. But I AM retired you know, can’t I just relax now? The answer is yes, I can but, is that healthy? As I need to keep my physical muscles strong to be “heart healthy", I also have to keep those spiritual muscles strong to be “heart healthy”. Try as I might, I couldn’t find any version of the bible that said “Go into all the world and make disciples of men until you retire” so I guess I’m not off the hook. I am convinced that if we ask the Lord he will bring people into our lives that are dying to hear the message of Jesus and his forgiveness.







Lord, give me the desire and strength to tell others about you and your forgiveness. Help me to be mindful of my "Core" Jesus and His forgiveness!













 

No comments:

Post a Comment