Thursday, July 15, 2010

jeanie-ology




As my eyes glazed over reading the first chapter of Matthew I decided that I needed an attitude adjustment. I really don’t know if I ever read through the entire genealogy of Jesus with all of the “so in so was the father of so in so who was the father of someone else“. As I read I came across something that sparked my interest. It was; David was the father of Solomon whose mother had been Uriah’s wife. I skimmed the side notes and found that there was a reference to that statement. The title to this little blip on the side of my bible was “Why list Uriah in the genealogy of Christ? Indeed! Why would the “dirty laundry” be written right there for generations of readers see? What I found was a beautiful thought. Jesus, was willing to be identified with a sinner like David. Uriah a good man, was killed in order that King David have his wife Bathsheba. David, God’s chosen, His anointed one, the one who God spoke of as being a man after his own heart was frail man just like you and me. David sinned. This was a beautiful reminder of God’s grace. When I read the story of David, I find that he was not done, God didn’t disown him but used David even after this terrible failure. That is grace.

This fall when I have to shut the doors and windows and prepare for winter I plan to look up my family on my Mom’s side of the family. Someone has already done my Dad’s family tree and also my husband’s family so I find that side of the family very interesting. I don’t know if I would find any scoundrels or saints but it would be fun to trace the family. The pictures that I posted fascinate me. My Grandpa Camp is the young man in the center with his father (Great Grandpa Camp) to the right in the picture. From what I have heard they were all upstanding members of society but I am sure I have seen Elliot Ness of the “Untouchable” wear that same kind of over coat. Because my mom has my great grandfathers ledgers, I know he kept track of everything and recorded even the smallest things. I would assume that he was an organized man, he definitely didn’t pass that on to me. Will I find people who my kids resemble or talents that has popped up from some generation in my past? I don’t know. Maybe there was someone generations ago who prayed for me and my generation of the family. For over forty years I have prayed for my family into the fifth generation. Did someone do that for me? If I had been in the family of Jesus I know he would have included me, as unworthy as I am. I thank God for His Amazing Grace!

I can see it now…Charles, father of Verna, who was the mother of Jeanie a sinner set free by the grace of God!

The other picture is of the “Camp Kids”, I’m told it was taken at a Camp Reunion. The sweet little girl (smallest girl) in the front is my mother. The ornery looking little fellow in the front with his hands on his hips is my Uncle Rex.

No comments:

Post a Comment