Friday, March 17, 2023

In What Shape is your Palm Branch

 In What Shape Is Your Palm Branch?

 

Palm Sunday brings memories of my kids being in the “throng” of children that waved their palm branches as they marched around the church sanctuary.  Their voices rang out, Hosanna in the Highest.  The angelic look on their faces would make any parent proud unless you dared to think about what would become of the crisp green palms following the parade.  Those objects of worship would become swords to defeat their third grade Sunday school mate, or a weapon for the girls to  swat those yucky sixth grade boys with.  These beautiful palms were abused in every manner after the worshiping was done.

 

As we start the Passion week, I thought of our Savior entering Jerusalem, not on a grand steed but a lowly donkey.  I see his children waving palm branches and throwing their coats down for Jesus to ride across.  The spirits were high as they shouted Hosanna but before the week was up their praise turned to hate.  They would use their tongues of worship to curse the Son of God.  These, His children, would forget about the Triumphal Entry and call for His crucifixion.

 

So many times, I am drawn into the same frenzy that the people were in that day.  I love my Lord and after a viewing of “The Passion” on TV or a wonderful service at church my spirits are high but what happens to my palm branch after Palm Sunday?

 

I’m sad to say that sometimes, my worship branch is torn to shreds by the cares of this world.  We go back to our jobs, our families and the hassles of living life in this fallen world.  The economy is still bad, our neighbor’s daughter is still dead from a car accident and our family member is still fighting cancer.  

 

Though life sometimes gets in the way of our worship, I am glad to report that the Savior who rode a lowly donkey colt into Jerusalem is still in the business of loving us.  Whether the world or I wave palm branches or not, He is still the same.  He is not diminished by our lack of worship.  He is the same today, tomorrow and forever!  The bible says He hears our cries even after our palm branches fall apart.  I love this scripture from Psalms.

 

Psalm 34:18

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

 

Because of His great love I can’t help but wave my pitiful palm branch in worship to the King of Kings.   

HOSANNA IN THE HIGHEST IS WORTHY OF PRAISE! 

In What  Shape Is Your Palm Branch?

No comments:

Post a Comment