Saturday, December 25, 2021

The Shiny of Christmas is the Star

 I would always start the Christmas season pretty reasonably, but as time went on, I became more frazzled. After spending our planned amount for the kid’s Christmas I would begin to fret that it was not enough or that it was all wrong. After gazing upon the beautiful trappings of the season at every store my heart was far from content at this time of supposed Peace on Earth! I felt that our meager funds had stolen Christmas. This of course collided with my dear husband’s practical take on my favorite holiday. As I watched people spend, spend, spend, my heart became more and more distraught, my Christmas faded into disappointment instead of joy because I had forgotten the real meaning of the day.

Doing all the traditional things that made the season complete, I forced myself to watch, “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas” and I must say there were frequent looks at my husband as I watched the wicked green Grinch. If you remember this miserable green creature tried his best to destroy the beautiful feelings that are born at this time of the year. Thinking that gifts and glitter were the reason for their joy he determined to remove everything that could remind them of this day.

In our day it’s not the glitter and glow that is taken from our reason to celebrate but it is the baby Jesus himself that the world tries to remove. They think that if Jesus is removed our hope will also be removed. Joy will disappear if we are faced with the trouble of life.

That silly movie brought me to a bit of sanity along with a wise statement that our green friend made, “Maybe Christmas, he thought doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more!”

And then at the end of the terribleness of the Grinch’s deeds, the tiny people grabbed each other’s hands and sang with giant smiles on their faces. The Grinch could not take away their joy even as the world cannot take joy from the hearts of those who celebrate the Babe in the Manger today.

Through the years I have become more sensible when it comes to gift-giving at Christmas but I am still intrigued by the shiny of Christmas and my heart knows without a doubt, “It’s a little bit more!”

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.”

No comments:

Post a Comment