Friday, October 23, 2015

The Sweetest Water

I'm surely a coffee girl all the way.  I love the way it smells, I like the warmth It gives on a cold morning, and I delight in the taste.  When I eat at a restaurant, I love a tall glass of raspberry tea with my meal.  On a cold night, give me hot chocolate with marshmallows floating on top, slowly melting, as I enjoy the creamy beverage.  But when I am truly thirsty I crave a cold, clear, glass of water.

I could almost feel that thirst, as I read about the children of Israel today in Exodus.  The bible says, after the Israelites had crossed the Red Sea on dry land they were led by Moses into the Desert of Shur.  The scripture says they traveled three days without finding water. Most of us have never felt such thirst.  Can you imagine their relief when they came upon Marah, an oasis of water, but can you feel their disappointment when they found out this water was bitter and they were unable to drink it?  At this discovery, they began to grumble to Moses, as we all might do, "What are we to drink?"  Moses went to the Lord and was instructed to throw a certain piece of wood into that bitter pool.  The bitter water was instantly transformed into sweet, refreshing water and they were able to drink.

As I read today of this tree that was thrown into the bitter water, I found that many commentators suggest that this tree represented the cross of Jesus Christ.   Many times we grumble at our circumstances, at prayers not answered or hard times that seem to plague us, when it is the tree of Jesus we need to sweeten the waters of our bitterness and discontent.  

“who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness— by whose stripes you were healed.”
‭‭I Peter‬ ‭2:24‬ ‭NKJV

I know, myself, I have felt the bitterness of unanswered prayer.  I have prayed for healing for loved ones and for impossible circumstances, but have yet to see those  prayers answered, at least in the way and the timing that I think they should be.  But today I pray for the sweetness of the cross to refresh, and give me new hope in Him.  May I be reminded of his unfailing love and may I be still and wait on Him who died on that tree for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment