Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Coughing Goat



Some of my fondest childhood memories takes me to an old farm house we lived in for awhile near Clinton, Illinois. The old house sat on a hill overlooking rolling pastures and a long lane. There we would run barefoot, frequently stepping on things our bovine friends would leave along the way. We played by a creek and much to my chagrin now, would drink from it right along with all the rest of the livestock. Can anybody say DYSENTERY? We sometimes took a piece of bread or what ever we could find to have a "picnic". We, had no hand sanitizer and as I remember, we, but especially my brothers, could often see black prints on the white bread from our dirty hands after digging for rocks to throw in the water. Amazing that we survived to adulthood! Like a Norman Rockwell picture, my brothers would swim in a pond nearby and be in big trouble if my mom found out. What I loved most was the critters that roamed that old farm. At that time, my dad took care of the animals that belonged to the landlord to help with the rent but in my mind the cows, sheep and one old coughing goat were my special pets. Sometimes if you didn't know any better, you could think the coughing goat was an intruder because of his human like cough, probably caused by TB since I am pretty sure he didn't smoke.

One day I ventured out to start my day, and headed for the barn, my favorite place to play. I was sure the stray cat that resided there had surely had her kittens by now. Before I could reach the old rickety building, I was stopped in my tracks at the most horrible sound I had ever heard. The sheep that normally meandered mindlessly in the pasture, bellowed as if they were being murdered. Wide eyed I watched as one sheared sheep after another was released minus their wooly coat, scared and bloodied from the ordeal.

The thing that saddened me most was the fear and confusion on their faces (if sheep have faces) they didn't know where to go. I wanted to help them but they were lost in their own fear. They needed a leader! They thrashed in desperation until they heard a baaa that came from the old coughing goat. He became their leader and immediately feeling they were safe became calm.

The bible talks of sheep, many times in context to their need of a leader or a shepherd. It is pretty well known that sheep are not too smart and it is even thought that they have poor eyesight. Now a girl could take offense since humans are often compared to these wooly creatures. No the bible is not saying we are wooly, stinky critters that graze on grass but that many times we don't know which way to go. Sometimes our eyesight fails us and we can't see past ourselves. Unfortunately, sometimes, we turn to an old coughing goat instead of the good shepherd to lead us.

My heart was recently saddened as someone told me of a co-worker, a one time successful man, who has become a shell of that man due to the ravages of drug addiction. It is thought his downward spiral began when he and his wife divorced. I can almost see this dear one thrown out bloodied, fearful and confused only to turn to the wooing of the coughing goat instead of the Shepherd. The drugs soothed the hurt for a time but eventually stole everything from him.

The bible says we have all gone astray, like sheep and need a shepherd. Many times I, not knowing which way to go, have put my confidence in someone or something unreliable. When I turn to anything other than God's truth, I run after the coughing old goat. Sometimes I listen to my panicked emotions rather than the truth found in God's word. I run amuck afraid of everything rather than praying to the Shepherd who can calm those fears.

If you, dear one have gone astray and do not know which way to go, remember the Good Shepherd knows His sheep. He is there to comfort and calm you, forgive and guide you?

For "you were like sheep going astray," but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls. (1 Peter 2:25 NIV)

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— (John 10:14 NIV)

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. (Psalm 23:1-4 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment