Monday, March 14, 2011

Temple Restoration!

In the book of Haggai it is found that God was unhappy that His Temple was in such disarray! It seems that the Israelites were more interested in other things and so let things go in the Temple. Weeds were growing up around it, shutters were hanging half off and the steps were rickety. The people had a bad habit of procrastinating and said “it is not a good time to rebuild the temple, maybe tomorrow”. God said through Haggai the prophet: “you need to take a good look at your life and your priorities”. He wanted them to take their eyes off of themselves and look at him.

I myself am a procrastinator, especially if the job seems overwhelming. I’m sure, as the days went by and the Temple was more and more in disrepair, it seemed impossible to get done and after all they had more important things to do. Anyway, all that activity kept their mind off of this looming task that need to be done. They found though that none of the things thought to be important, satisfied them, not money, clothes or food and drink! They never felt fulfilled no matter what they bought or ate!

It’s said that our bodies are “the Temple of God”. As far as temples go, mine is in total disarray! I have procrastinated when it comes to exercise or eating right. I have ignored the doctor’s warnings about my ever rising cholesterol level and the wear and tear that the added weight has on my joints. My energy level has hit bottom and I always feel tired. God said, “take a good hard look at yourself and think it over” (Wow that is powerful). I feel like it is time for me to restore this “temple” of mine. I want to be able to do more for God, I want to have lots of time to enjoy my kids and grandkids and I want to be the “temple” God designed me to be.

I love what God says to the people through Haggai the prophet:

Then God said: "Here's what I want you to do: Climb into the hills and cut some timber. Bring it down and rebuild the Temple. Do it just for me. Honor me. Haggai 1:8

I love it when he says, “Do it just for me”! Whether, like me, your body and health needs an overhaul or maybe your priorities could stand to have a clean up, think of it as doing it just for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment