Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Calm Down

It was a beautiful day here in our neck-of-the-woods so I grabbed my bible, my study books, my coffee and a few of my critters to go out to my “prayer chair”. The sun was beautiful and a Cardinal cheerfully sang “birdie, birdie, birdie”. Ahh it was so good to be out to my prayer chair! I had been out there even in the bad weather and had even kneeled in the snow to pray a few times but to actually be able to sit comfortably was wonderful. I put my things down, moved the cat that wanted to be on my lap and opened my bible. The only problem was, the thin pages of my bible did not want to stay put because of the breeze that was blowing. I didn’t really have the nerve to ask God outright to stop the wind since it was such a small thing, but I just hinted at it. “Lord, it would sure be nice if that wind stopped for a little while so I could enjoy my time with you” hint, hint! The wind seemed to whistle even harder across the pages of the bible and I was cold! I pulled the collar of my thin coat up around my ears and neck to keep them warm. “Sure is uncomfortable here, Lord” I wish the wind would die down a bit”! I may have to cut this short, I am just not comfortable even with the beautiful sun shining on me, I complained. At that moment, it was as if the Lord said to me…. Just go get your heavy coat and maybe a hat! Duh, I thought. He would not stop the wind but he was telling me to go get the things that he had provided to shelter me from the wind. Sometimes He doesn’t stop the wind but instead gives us what we need to withstand the cold blast of life. He gives us his word to encourage us, he gives us brothers and sisters to come along side us and he gives us his presence as he hides us there. But rest assured even when we don’t feel Him, when we only feel the cold winds of life, he is there! You probably have heard the saying “sometimes he doesn’t calm the storm, he calms his child”, I love that. Many times I pray for the storms of life to pass me by but the Lord seems to say “my grace is sufficient for you even in the midst of the storm”. Calm down my child, I’ll hold your hand as you go get a coat! Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment